Saturday, May 2, 2020


Leading the Way

Pravat Kumar Padhy

Early winter, I stroll with my granddaughter, Mishku. There is a charm in recounting the seasonal flowers with her. She asks about chirping birds, the moon and the twinkling stars. It is exciting to explain the science behind them in the form of story-language for her own playful imagination!

The flowers and their names, I often narrate to keep her amused in the evening's tender breeze. She caresses her hand over the tiny grass rinsed with softened dew. There is a charm in rediscovering yourself, to convince the first-learner. Who knows, there could be a little Marie Curie or Ada E. Yonath residing in her!

I recall Wordsworth’s phrase: “the child is father of the man”. It's toying with me, but I know, “the child is mother of the woman”.

garden umbrella
shadow changes its length
with passing time

Drifting Sands Haibun, Premier Issue, April 2020 (Eds.Richard Grahn and Cyndi Lloyd)


No comments:

Post a Comment