Tuesday, June 30, 2020

HAINKA: A New Style of Poem by Pravat Kumar Padhy



Since March 2016, I have been thinking about a new concept of writing a combination of ‘haiku and tanka’ (hainka) .I had coined the genre as “HAINKA”, precisely on the day 21st March 2016 and I had written about this new genre in my personal diary. Recently I happened to revisit my old diary. The Hainka may be composed in such a way that the fragment of the haiku will be the pivot line (kakekatoba) of the following tanka. It can be composed either by the poet himself or in collaboration. The “Hainka” can portray a broader coherency of the images keeping in view the aspect of ‘link and shift’ within the framework of the combined poem.
Hainka:

melting snow
sharing warmth
each other

under sunshine
kids clap together
melting snow
unfolding the secret
gathers smiles on smiles

****    ****    ****
cloud patches        
a mole on the moon
and on her face

gust of breeze
unlocks her braided hair
cloud patches                   
descend as achromatic drops
erasing her floating thoughts

****    ****    ****
I received an e-mail from my much-revered poet friend, Hidenori Hiruta, Editor, Akita International Haiku Network, Japan. Thank you, Hidenori, for your inspiration and interest.

Dear Mr. Pravat Kumar Padhy,
Thank you very much for your exciting e-mail.
I respect you for your new concept, which will be influential among poets in the world……..
And I hope that you will have finished writing about 50 hainka, which will be shared with our readers with my Japanese translations.

Best regards,
Hidenori Hiruta



No comments:

Post a Comment